Solange Knowles is lending her celebrity to help cure blood cancer—noted as the number one killer of children in the country.
“Since attending the DKMS gala couple of years ago, I have wanted to lend my support in any way I could. People are dying and we can save them,” said Knowles. “A lot of people don’t understand that it’s literally a cotton swab that determines if you’re a match. This can actually save someone’s life!”
The singer/songwriter, who is also a mother, is asking people everywhere to register to be a bone marrow donor with DMKS, the world’s largest marrow donor center.
Every day thousands of patients search the national registry in the hope of finding a bone marrow donor match. Less than 30% of patients find a match in their own family, and the remaining 70% must search for an unrelated donor. Unfortunately, 6 out of 10 patients who would benefit from a transplant never receive one.
“Solange has a heart of gold and we are thrilled to have her as a DKMS ambassador who can help register bone marrow donors and save countless lives,” said Katharina Harf, COO of DKMS Americas. “Her PSA, which is powerful and honest, shares a message that is critical yet simple—get swabbed and you could save a life.”
For more information visit: www.getswabbed.org