Depression doesnt discriminate. After Dru Hill member and Keith Sweat’s Platinum House’s Nokio exposed his past battle with the illness, it moved many to take it seriously and revisit its affect on the minority community. Depression is a mental issue that requires medical attention in order to manage it, cope with it, and—in some cases—get rid of it. Below are a few facts about depression that will make you aware. Please note: if any of the symptoms or facts listed seem to fit you or a loved one, seeking medical attention is a must…not a maybe.
1. Women are twice as likely to suffer from depression than men.
2. Major depression effects mood, thoughts, behavior, and physical health.
3. Major depression is the largest cause of disability in the United States.
4. More than half of the people who experience one episode of depression will continue to have episodes at least once or twice a year. If depressive episodes are left untreated they become more frequent and more detrimental to ones health.
5. Untreated depression can, and often times does lead to suicide.
Prevention and treatment can only occur if you are aware of yourself and those around you. Depression isn’t something that will work itself out.
All information was found here.