Archive for "MIAMI VICE"
Behind every great television show there is typically a great producer and director. It just so happens Stan Lathan is both. Although he has been making a name for himself since the 1970’s, his major breakthrough came in 1989 when he joined forces with Russell Simmons and created the successful “Def Comedy Jam” series for HBO.
In the past decade, Lathan’s name has been attached to successful shows like MTV’s “Run’s House” and “Daddy’s Girls,” but his talent extends beyond the world of reality television and has an presence in programs like 90’s sitcom “The Steve Harvey Show.” Want to know Lathan more? Centric’s got you covered:
1. Stan Lathan started his career in public television broadcasting and one of his first breaks was becoming a director for the groundbreaking series “Sesame Street.”
2. If the Lathan surname rings a bell, its probably because his actress daughter Sanaa shares the same last name.
3. Lathan has directed for two television series that are Centric favorites–”Fame” (the television series) and “Miami Vice.”
5. In 2003, Lathan along with Russell Simmons produced “Def Poetry Jam on Broadway” and it won the Tony Award for Best Special Theatrical Event.
Stan Lathan in a trailblazer in every sense of the word and shows no signs of slowing down. To see a series that Lathan helped turn into gold, tune in today at 1PM EST and 5PM EST for “The Steve Harvey Show” only on Centric.
So Labor Day weekend is over, and even though that means that the summer is officially coming to a close, that doesn’t mean that vacations to exotic locales—with amazing beaches—have to stop here and now.
If you live in a city that experiences all four seasons, the end of summer is usually something you dread. Have some extra vacation time? How about a late getaway? Centric has a list of three beach locales you should try to visit before the next summer rolls around…and who knows you might benefit from off peak pricing.
1. Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia (pictured above) – The “Land Down Under” may be far, but it’s nothing short of beautiful. Bondi Beach is less than an hour from Sydney, so while you travel to experience white, sandy beaches you can also enjoy the capital city of Australia in all it’s glory. Read the rest of this entry »
Everytime Miami Vice is on it’s obvious that South Beach is a fantasy land filled with palm trees, a permanent summer breeze, amazing beaches, and beautiful people. If you want to enter the fantasy then you should know the top five times of year to travel to South Beach, especially if you want to relax, relate and release.
1. March: This is the month of college spring breaks and there is likely to be a party every single night of the week. There are tons and tons of people on the beach, on the strip, and in the club every day and every night that you can meet and mingle with, so if you’re young, March is definitely a golden month for you.
2. Memorial Day Weekend: Besides the fact that celebrities love to bring in Memorial Day Weekend big in Miami, this weekend is the official kick off to summer. If you live somewhere that may not be warm enough in May, then taking a trip to Miami to BBQ, relax, and hit an all white party should definitely be something swirling in your mind.
3. Fourth of July Weekend: Great weather, fireworks, and our nation’s birthday equals a wonderful combination.
A beautiful face can only take you so far, but when you match beauty with true talent you get Garcelle Beauvais. She’s modeled and acted to great success. Even though you might know her best from The Jamie Foxx Show, Beauvais was accomplished in her own right. ONCENTRIC has the skinny on eight places you might have spotted—or missed—Garcelle. Check’em out:
1. Miami Vice- when turning the channel to Centric every night to watch the 80’s classic, look out for Garcelle playing a waitress in one episode or a young woman named Gabrielle in another.
2. The Cosby Show- many of our favorite actors have gotten their start on this seminal family sitcom at one point in time and Garcelle is no exception. You can catch her playing a a nurse in one episode if you watch closely.
3. Coming To America- she wasn’t the “queen to be”, but she was a beautiful rose bearer for the fictional Prince of Zamunda (played by Eddie Murphy) in the movie.
4. The Wayans Brothers- playing the controlling love interest of Shawn Wayans, Beauvais flexed her comedic chops alongside the brothers.
5. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air – much like The Cosby Show, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was jammed pack with celebrity cameos. Garcelle was lucky enough to be on the show more than once as the sassy-vixen Veronica and in two more episodes as Sandra.
6. Wild Wild West – she met with Will Smith once again in this 1999 film playing the role of Belle.
7. NYPD Blue - she played A.D.A. Valerie Heywood for three seasons.
8. Ad campaigns for Avon, Clairol, and Mary Kay (simply put, she’s beautiful).
To catch Garcelle on the Jamie Foxx Show, tune in today at 2PM EST and watch The Jamie Foxx Show.
South Beach is a destination that makes you feel as though you are in a tropical paradise once you step off of the plane. The temperature is just right, the water is blue, the food is great, and the nightlife never disappoints.
If you’ve ever need a reason to visit South Beach, Centric is going to give you five reasons why a trip to Miami will be worth your time.
1. The Temperature: If you want to get away without leaving the country in order to enjoy some warm weather, then South Beach is the place for you. From December to February the average temperature is 77 degrees Fahrenheit, and that’s about as low as it gets. From March to November temperatures average between 80 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit consistently, so if you want fun in the sun you’ll definitely get it.
2. The Art Deco District: Most cities in the United States have modern buildings that don’t really reflect the history and evolution of architecture, so when visiting Miami it’s very important to walk through the Art Deco District. It’s close to the beach, so it’s not inconvenient and there’s no excuse to overlook the beauty of classic buildings. The Art Deco District has been maintained so well that you’ll actually feel as though you are stepping back into the 1930’s and 1940’s. Read the rest of this entry »
If you can’t get enough of Miami Vice and The A-Team during the week then Centric has you covered starting at 6AM EST until noon you have the chance to hit the mean streets of South Beach with six classic episodes of Miami Vice. After your fun in the sun, get ready for grit and brawn on The A-Team from noon until 8PM EST.
If you’re in need of a high dose of nostalgia, tune in tomorrow at 6AM. Only on Centric
Between the cars, trendy clothes, and the action. It’s official: The coolest cops on the beat are on “Miami Vice”. Join Sonny (Don Johnson) and Ricardo (Phillip Michael Thomas) as they fight crime in pastels. Airing daily at 6 am and 11pm EST only on Centric.
Miami is a city that provides a fantasy that makes you never want to leave. There are palm trees, beautiful beaches, gorgeous people, and amazing nightlife. On the flip side Miami is overrun with drugs and prostitution that cops have been trying to fight since the 1980’s as seen in the show Miami Vice.
Miami Vice follows Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas as they play two cops trying to stop crime on South Beach. Even though the show revolved around catching the bad guys, Miami Vice showcased South Beach’s amazing Art Deco District, latest men’s fashions, and the hottest cars. In essence, the show provided men with action and adventure, and the ladies were able to enjoy some eye candy at their leisure.
Whether you’ve never seen an episode of Miami Vice or you’ve seen every episode about 25 times, tune in tonight at 11PM EST.